Monday 11 June 2012

11 June 2012

Last night Ireland played Croatia in the Euro 2012 tournament. Ireland lost (or as The Editor would say, 'they had their arses handed to them' (and that's being polite - Ed)) and after the locals drowned their sorrows, they spilled out of the pub and noisily wandered through our usually quiet town. As a result of the drunken cacophony, I didn't get to sleep until after 3am and so when I got to school at 8.45am this morning I knew I was in for a struggle.

I made a spiced pear cake which you make in a fry pan and then flip onto a hot plate (nerve-wracking at the best of times but especially challenging after four hours' sleep), Moules Provencal, which are mussels on the half shell smothered in garlic butter and breadcrumbs, and a rock salt and rosemary focaccia. The focaccia was not on my menu for today but last night as I wrote my order of work I had decided to challenge myself with an extra dish. Murphy's law - once you decide to challenge yourself, the world will conspire to deprive you of sleep. Boo. Somehow though, everything worked out very well. The cake was scrumptiously gooey, the mussels were delicious (but then what isn't after being smothered in melted garlic butter?) and the focaccia was crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Sadly, I was too tired to pat myself on the back (I was happy to do the honours after having delicious focaccia and cake delivered to my armchair to help me recover from my hangover/sport-related mourning - Ed).




In today's demonstration we made: Classic parmesan and gruyere souffle, Cheddar cheese souffle with chives, Pate de campagne, Game terrine, Pork spinach and herd terrine, Cucumber pickle, Confiture d'oignons, Celeriac remoulade, Spiced cranberries, Beetroot relish, Red pepper chutney, Date and coconut chutney, Fennel and red onion salad, Aubergine salad with olives and sundried tomatoes, Spring onion salad with pomegranate and molasses salad, Butter and milk dough, Pretzels, Crepes with orange butter, Crepes with salted butter caramel, Crepes with toffee sauce and bananas, Flaky pastry. 

I am going to eat my spiced pear cake with cream and crawl into bed (they are separate events ... I am not that much of a piggy). Sweet dreams x


p.s. I have been craving Greek food for weeks so on Saturday night The Editor and I invited some friends over for a 'hellenic' dinner party. I made slow-roasted leg of lamb with tzatziki, spanakopita, tomato and basil salad, and macaroni in a tomato sauce (devilishly enhanced with the pan juices from the roast lamb ... so yummy!). There were six hungry adults and we ate for three hours, leaving just enough food for everyone to eat another full meal the next day (i.e. in the true Greek fashion).  I also discovered making spanakopita with my family on the other side of the world has a perk ... there is nobody to fight me for the corner pieces! Chomp chomp.

The coveted corner piece ... all mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment