Friday 1 June 2012

1 June 2012

First up on my order of work today were goat's cheese croquettes with roast peppers and olive tapendade oil. They are relatively straightforward to make - take some goat's cheese, roll it into a ball the size of a cherry, then roll in seasoned flour, egg, breadcrumbs and flaked almonds before gently dropping into a deep fryer. The end result is delicious - crunchy nutty casing giving way to a molten hot glob of cheese. Mmmm. Until yesterday I have never used a deep-fat fryer in my life but in the past 24 hours I have fried churros, fish goujons and now cheese croquettes .. and the madness doesn't end there ... on Monday I am frying pommes allumettes (anorexic french fries) and onion rings. Who knew deep frying would be so much fun?! I can see how you could get carried away and start frying anything and everything ... cupcakes could benefit from a crispy shell, no?

Next up was a beetroot, carrot and parsley salad - the beetroot in this recipe is cooked and then pickled. Pickling involves covering something in a mixture of 250 grams of sugar, water and some vinegar. I have never added 250 grams of sugar to anything in my life, not even a cake, so that was interesting (and by interesting I mean weird). I prefer my beetroot Greek-style (no, not financially crippled) - drizzled with olive oil and served with a giant blob of skordalia (garlic dip).



Today I visited the cheese, which I have christened Chester, three times. During the final visit Chezz was lovingly massaged with salt which will eventually permeate uniformly through him. I feel like I should swing by the dairy later tonight and sing him a lullaby. If cheese did sleep, would they give themselves nightmares by virtue of their cheesiness? God, I am tired.

Today we learned how to cook: Gravlax with mustard and dill mayonnaise, Salad of anchoiade fennel and French breakfast radishes, Crudités with garlic mayonnaise, Pinzimonio (raw veg with a side of olive oil... why?), How to cut your own steaks, Pan-grilled steak with béarnaise sauce and chips, Chargrilled sirloin with salsa verde, Steak au poivre, Pan-grilled steak with chipotle butter, Sirloin steak with chimichurri sauce, Steak with blue cheese butter, Spiced beef, Spiced tomato sauce, Béarnaise sauce, Mushroom sauce, French fried onions, Frites, Pommes Allumettes, Cauliflower cheese, Italian cauliflower fritters, Indian spicy noodles with tomato, Rocket and olive salad, Normandy Pear/Apple tart, Apricot and frangipane tart, Bakewell tart, Seville orange tart, Plum tart, Gooseberry frangipani tart, Pear hazelnut and rosemary tart, and Apricot glaze. 

It's a long weekend in Ireland and The Editor and I are off to Dublin. Next Friday I have my first exams so I shall be super-geeky and bring my recipe folder on holiday with us.

Till Tuesday, happy munching xx

No comments:

Post a Comment