Thursday 14 June 2012

14 June 2012

Last night (at 1.07am to be precise) some genius had the bright idea of practicing lifeboat drills right outside my window. They were VERY LOUD. There's nothing like a mid-REM cycle heart attack to keep you on your toes. This morning I slept through my alarm, awoke in a panic and stumbled downstairs to find there was no milk. So it was with a sleep- and coffee-deprived brain that I turned up to school today for a full-day of business lectures.  I can't tell you how enthusiastic I was about a day of powerpoint presentations and group exercises (about as excited as a coeliac in a bakery). 

To my surprise I think I may have actually learned something! I even enjoyed myself a little bit (especially the coffee breaks). I am not here to educate you, so I won't go into the details of the lecture, but I have to tell you about a short American* video we watched on food trends for 2012. I thought the trends were lost on me because my brain was in nap-mode, but it turns out the video was just bonkers. Apparently, trends for this year include: 'social networking' (is that a new thing?), 'Groovin' Peruvian' (the hottest new international cuisine), 'Is that what it tastes like?' (apparently the new non-smoking non-salting world is learning to taste things as nature intended them), 'Schizophrenic shopping' (huh?) and 'Inconspicuous consumption' (what the hell?) My questions are: why is there a recognised mental illness in the trend forecast? And what on earth is inconspicuous consumption?!! I am imagining people hiding behind potted ferns in restaurants quietly munching on stolen bread rolls - it sounds like the first stop on the bus tour to a full blown eating disorder. 

Here's my prediction - eating will always be in vogue. If you only eat things because they are trendy, you should be removed from the gene pool. 

Our Dublin visitors are still here and today The Editor arranged for some fresh fish to be delivered for dinner. I specifically asked him to order fish for four people ... I arrived home to find four entire fish (bless him). Ever the optimist I saw an opportunity to fillet a fish (or four) without any assistance from a teacher - would my new cooking school skills translate into real life? Turns out they do - and what's more, beheading and filleting a fish is a rather unique party trick! Feed your friends and give them nightmares too! (Ok, in retrospect I shouldn't have laughed maniacally as I cut of the haddock's head). 

As close at The Editor was willing to get
New skill for my CV - handy with a filleting knife
The menu for this evening was oven roasted fish with dill, spring onions, chilli and lemon; warm potato salad with dill mayonnaise (I had a lot of dill); spanakopita (this is becoming a problem); grilled zucchini and fried haloumi (is there anything better than fried cheese? Not that I can think of). Dessert was apple and elderflower pie with softly whipped cream. And now if you'll excuse me, I am going to run up and down the stairs 50 times. 

I am leaving you with a photo of the sunset in Ballycotton last night ... the perfect backdrop to my non-stop chomping. 


*Draw your own conclusions. I am saying nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment