Thursday 31 May 2012

31 May 2012

As I type this, I am eating my fifth mini chocolate eclair for the day (calm down mum, they really are mini). Turns out choux pastry is not actually that difficult to make and a little goes a long way. In fact one batch makes 18 mini eclairs and 20 churros ... do not make these when you are home alone because they are irresistible and you will eat them all and your partner will arrive home to find you bloated, flatulent and moaning on the couch 'La Grand Bouffe' style (unless he's Mr Creosote and is polishing off his seventh of the day. Hypothetically of course - Ed). 




After mastering the choux, I filleted a rather grumpy looking Brill. One of my grandfather's many careers was as a fishmonger and I feel that I did him proud today - I cut and skinned four rather fabulous fillets in no time (actually it was over half an hour, but hey, I'm a learner). These fillets then became goujons, and those goujons then became the Editor's lunch - personally delivered to the dining room by moi (with spicy salsa and coriander aioli... My death row last meal has a new starter - Ed). 

I don't know if you can see his face, but he is seriously grouchy.
Fillet 1 - I know, Its gorgeous. 
Skin removed in one piece! Hoorah!
4 little fillets, waiting for their turn in the deep fryer...
A lunch fit for an Editor - Goujons with salsa and coriander aioli. 
This afternoon we were shown to cook: Parmesan custards with anchovy toasts, Wild garlic custards, Goats cheese croquettes with rocket leaves roast pepper and tapenade oil, Fish curry, Ling/Pollock with tomatoes and fresh spices, Olive dough, Pilaff rice, Homemade noodles, Green salad with cider vinaigrette dressing, Beetroot and carrot salad, Chocolate/Lemon curd profiteroles, Strawberry profiteroles, Lemon curd eclairs, Choux puffs, Caramel salambos (caramel topped choux pastry ovals filled with orange cream) and Creme Patissiere.

After demonstration I got to make cheese with a few other students. Within minutes of walking into the dairy I was elbow deep in 50 litres of lukewarm whey breaking up chunks of curd with my fingers. Kind of gross, but also kind of amazing. We then drained the whey and packed the curd into perforated containers which were topped with weights. We were informed that the cheese needs to be turned after 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, then tomorrow morning, lunch and after-school and then every day thereafter. It seems to be good practice for having children. I had no idea dairy products were so needy.  


The first turning of the cheese.
Tomorrow I am making croquettes, beetroot and carrot salad and making a second attempt at my white bread which was was not co-operating today and turned out more like a doorstop than a loaf. Thank God tomorrow is Friday... Gin and Tonic beckons....

No comments:

Post a Comment