Tuesday 10 July 2012

10 July 2012

From my kitchen window I can see dozens of brightly coloured fishing boats. For the past 10 weeks these boats have barely moved from their moorings (due to bad weather) which means we have not had many fish to cook with at the school.  All that changed yesterday when I noticed a flurry of activity at the pier and today when I walked into the kitchen to find mountains of mackerel! Hurrah! So in addition to my planned menu of white yeast bread, steamed new potatoes, cinnamon and hazelnut meringues, and a cheeky individual hot chocolate souffle, I also got to fillet and grill two gorgeous mackerel. I say gorgeous because they actually are - glistening iridescent creatures which shimmer blue-green like opals. So pretty. So delicious. So damned difficult to fillet, but hey, you can't have everything.

Come with me on a photographic journey entitled 'Mackerel: from bay to plate'





OK, I think that's enough fish. On to my other dishes ... As a souffle, my souffle was an unmitigated disaster, but as a 'Plumpcious chocolate pot' is was divine - dense, firm and oozing chocolate in the centre .. everything a souffle should not be, but holy cow was it delicious! It was such a successful mistake that I am making it again this evening for dessert (Dinner is a buttered bread roll ...read on to understand why). I also made Ottolenghi cinnamon and hazelnut meringues - these 'diabetics' enemies' were so colossal they took 2.5 hours to cook (and they were still gooey in the centre). I will admit they were pretty, but they weren't for me - If I am going to eat that much sugar I would prefer it in chocolate form.


Decadence gone mad.

And now for the piece de resistance ... today I made the best bread I have ever made (sorry sourdough). A simple white yeast bread shaped into little balls which rose, snuggled up together and made a cluster of fluffy seeded rolls. The teacher broke off a roll and exclaimed 'A Perfect 10'. My 'loaf love' for these little puff balls is off the charts! For that reason, dinner this evening is a perfect fluffy roll smothered in butter (and a glass or two of wine). Delicious. 


Today we were taught how to cook: Gaspacho, Gaspacho popsicles, Gaspacho blanco (made with almonds and soggy bread), Tomato and basil soup, Fresh tomato juice, Agnolotti, Gnudi bianchi (balls of ricotta rolled in semolina flour), Braised pork shoulder, Glazed belly of pork, Roast Chinese belly of pork with five spice powder and Chinese greens, Roast pork with crackling and spiced aubergines, New roast potatoes with rosemary and thyme, Green bean tomato and mozzarella salad with anchovy caper and garlic dressing, French chocolate cake with crystallized violets, Hazelnut praline cake, Genoise sponge, Chocolate and raspberry mousse gateau, and Baguettes.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's bread time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment