Thursday 12 July 2012

12 July 2012

Today I came face to face with something with a higher fat content than moi ... pork belly. It was lounging lazily on my chopping board, all flabby and wobbly and looking like it was about to collapse under the weight of its own heft. Disgusting. Did I really have to cook this? Sadly, yes. I marinated the four-inch chunk of blubber (there was only 2mm of visible pork) with sage leaves, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, onion, garlic and cider. Upon reflection, I should have just thrown the belly in the bin, drunk the cider and called it a day. After 3.5 hours in the oven, the belly emerged, still quivering - I tried my best to make it look edible, but it was a tough gig. I delivered my plate to the dining room - and the hungry waiting Editor - with the disclaimer: "I'll know you love me if you eat this" (Based on what was eaten and what was left, she's now approximately 73% sure that I love her - Ed).


I also made a salad of green beans, tomatoes, mozzarella and onion with anchovy and caper dressing. Green beans are interesting vegetables, they sit boiling away in the pot not really doing much and then all of a sudden they go from rock hard to totally limp. How dare they! So my beans were limp and my pork was flabby. Not my finest day in the kitchen (although in fairness, it was not my fault the pork was so gross ... the farmer should have fed it less and walked it more).


There were two things I did today which were not disastrous ... fettuccine and puff pastry. I didn't actually have to make either of them but I felt like practicing the skills (or as the Irish would say, I did if 'for the craic'). My fettuccine was fabulous, well at least, they looked fabulous - I haven't cooked them yet (they will be tomorrow night's dinner). My puff pastry went well but the true test will be whether it will make a great vol au vent tomorrow...

Did I mention I want a pasta machine? ... hint hint ... 

In this afternoon's demonstration we learned to cook: Seafood chowder (yum), Pan-grilled scallops with beurre blanc (yum), Risotto alla parmigiana (yum), The humane way to cook lobster or crayfish, Hot buttered lobster (yum), Lobster with cream and fresh herbs (yum), Lobster vol au vent (yum), Oyster mushroom with marjoram, Deep fried scallions, Cheese vol au vent, Apple and sweet geranium vol au vents, Tarte tatin, Sour cream shortcrust pastry, Sacristains (puff pastry trimmings sprinkled with sugar and flaked almonds), Sugar biscuits, Chocolate truffles, and Chocolate and raspberry truffles.

Tomorrow the Editor is coming for lunch again (who could resist a menu with three types of Lobster on it?!) (Not I - Ed). After school I'm going mackerel fishing so that I can catch something to serve alongside my fettuccine. Anchors away! (Hope I dont get seasick).

Ballycotton sunset yesterday evening

No comments:

Post a Comment