Monday 16 July 2012

16 July 2012

It's our last week of school. I cannot believe that 11 whole weeks have passed since that first day I arrived in rainy East Cork in my wellington boots, excited at what culinary challenges lay ahead. 

Today was also our last official morning cooking before final exams. I wish I could say I went out with a bang, but the menu was not that exciting. Pork en croute is essentially posh pig in a blanket - tenderloin stuffed with mushroom duxelle and tucked up tight in a puff pastry blanket. Mushroom duxelle is a stuffing made from onions, mushrooms, ham and herbs. By the time I got around to making mine there was no ham left so I had to fry up some bacon instead.  I have a confession, I love bacon. I love bacon so much that last year my ever-thoughtful little brother bought me bacon handsoap and bacon breath-mints for Christmas. But the bacon I met this morning changed everything. I am all for natural organic products, but what I don't see a need for is sliced bacon with the rind and pig bristles still attached. Bacon can be streaky, cured or smoked, but it should never NEVER resemble the upper lip of a hirsute Mediterranean nana. Bacon will never be the same again.

You can fry it, roast it, boil it ... but only after you shave it. Blurgh. 
Back to the pork - I fancied it up with some pastry plaits, chilled it, baked it and served it with some puy lentils. The Editor said it was nice. I didn't tell him about the bacon. 




Next up was Irish smoked salmon with potato wafers and horseradish cream. This was essentially homemade crisps layered with fish and cream. I am not sure why.


Today in demonstration we learned to cook: Skate with black butter, Warm ray wing with coriander, Poached ray wing with cucumber or thyme hollandaise, How to bone a bird, Chicken L'Arlene, Verdura Mista, Sticky chicken thighs with soy and ginger sauce, Honey-baked chicken thighs, Spatchcock chicken with roasted fennel saffron and yoghurt, How to skin gut and joint rabbit and hare, West Cork rabbit casserole, Rabbit with mustard and sage leaves, How to butterfly a leg of lamb, Autumn raspberry jellies with fresh mint cream, Fresh orange jelly with mint, Bread and butter pudding, Raspberry fool with shortbread biscuits, and Blackcurrant fool.


After demonstration, we had a guest lecture on sugar craft from a professional pastry chef. This is the peony flower he made before our amazed eyes .... and yes, it is made entirely of sugar! Suddenly my fancy pastry plait wasn't so impressive ...


P.S. Chester update - he is mouldy and proud. And its only six more weeks till I get to chomp into him!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment