Monday 9 July 2012

9 July 2012

My day started at 7.30am with salad duty. Ok, ok ... so I hit the snooze button three times and didn't  get to school until 8.05am , but that's still earlier than usual, and I suffered for it by nearly falling asleep in this afternoon's demonstration (mind you, the steamy heat of the ovens doesn't help).

Today I was without a kitchen partner so I got to make whatever I wanted from Friday's demonstration.  So, I made Mild madras curry, beetroot and mustard seed raita, fresh mint chutney, poppodums and elderflower sorbet. For the Madras curry I got to de-bone and butterfly a leg of lamb, which I am unlikely to do again considering there are perfectly competent butchers in my neighbourhood, but now I can add that to my list of culinary tricks. The lamb was then cubed and slow cooked with freshly ground spices, sliced onions, chopped almonds and a rather large cup of double cream - health conscious curry munchers beware!

The beetroot raita was simply grated beetroot, toasted mustard seeds, yoghurt, salt and honey - all mixed to form a luscious fucsia pink gloop which complemented the curry beautifully. The mint chutney was made by throwing apples, onion, and mint into a magimix and hitting the 'on' button - a sound which is truly delightful after a weekend of excessive cider consumption (note to self - bring earmuffs on Mondays). The poppodums were fried and the sorbet was thrown into a sorbet machine and ignored until it came time to scoop it. Elderflower sorbet is fabulously fresh and summery and I enjoyed eating it as I sat and stared out the window at the gloomy overcast Irish sky. Where else in the world does the temperature soar to 16 degrees at the height of summer?

From the top - beetroot raita, mint chutney, chilli sauce,  poppodums and Madras curry.
I couldn't decide between the horizontal and vertical versions of this photo ... 
Elderflower sorbet with lime syrup and fresh elderflowers 
Today in demonstration we learned to cook: Beef Consomme, Ravioli with swiss chard and pancetta, Pan-grilled mackerel with parsley butter or green gooseberry sauce, Scotch eggs (retro fabulous), Barbequed lamb zucchini and broad bean salad, Feta watermelon pine nut and mint leaf salad, Sticky Asian pork herb and roasted peanut salad, Asian dressing, Almond tart with strawberries, Almond prune and Armagnac tart, Hot lemon souffle, Grand Marnier souffle, Hot chocolate souffle, Ottolenghi cinnamon and hazelnut meringues, Ottolenghi pistachio and rosewater meringues, Chocolate mint leaves, and Strawberries with lemon basil. 

At 6pm we had a lecture on olive oil. As a result it is now 8pm and I have just arrived home, starving and with an evening of homework ahead of me. Luckily I snuck home a bowl of curry and some naan bread. Ah, the joys of an enormous handbag... (I love that handbag almost as much as I love its owner - Ed).

The who's who of european olive oils
P.S. On Saturday afternoon I volunteered to help make pork dumplings for a charity food truck event. I couldn't resist including a photo ... and yes, they were as delicious as they were adorable.


P.P.S Today I sought professional advice regarding Chester the Cheese and I am happy to report that his current funky state is not a cause for concern. It turns out that some cheeses, like some people, are just stinkier than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment