Wednesday 4 July 2012

4 July 2012

Not only did I have to drag myself out of bed this morning for an 8am (!!) wine exam, but I had to sit the exam in my chef's whites. The key word there is 'sit' ... an action which has become increasingly difficult to perform in what could politely be described as my "snug" checkered chef's trousers. In any event, I managed to finish the exam in 18 minutes (partly because I had studied a lot and partly so I could change before my seams burst). My new motto is 'less pastry, more pilates'.

Keeping up the health food theme - in this morning's demonstration we learned to cook: Banana nut brownies, Raspberry cheesecake brownies, Chocolate brownies, Peanut butter and white chocolate blondies, Filo triangles, Mushroom filos, Bisteeya (A Moroccan chicken filo pie covered in icing sugar which a friend of ours takes great joy in calling 'Chicken cake'), Crab filo with Thai dipping sauce, Spanakopita (not as good as mine, of course), Scrunchy apple tart, Filo waterlilies with summer fruits, Scallops mornay, Basic yeast bun dough, and Hot cross buns (so delicious you wish Easter was more than once a year).


This afternoon we had the pleasure of hearing from half a dozen of Ireland's finest farmhouse cheesemakers. We then went on a tour of Ballymaloe House where we got to sneak a peek at some guest rooms, the wine cellar, the kitchen, the dining room and finally the conservatory where we enjoyed afternoon tea (okay, my health kick lasted approximately 15 minutes). This evening we are attending a wine tasting with one of the top 10 winemakers in the world, Jean Trimbach from Alsace. The tasting will be followed by an 'All star Texas BBQ' to celebrate American independence day. Booze and BBQ ... my kind of evening. I promise the diet starts tomorrow. 

Yes please




No comments:

Post a Comment