Monday 14 May 2012

14 May 2012

Important lesson #1. If you walk into a kitchen after only four hours sleep, disaster will likely ensue.

We returned from our weekend away at 2am this morning. I got to sleep at 3am. When the alarm went off at 7am I pretended it was just a dream. Finally, at 7.30am I begrudgingly dragged myself out of bed, got dressed, put on two similar-yet-different earrings, burned my bagel and proceeded to put two spoonfuls of loose leaf tea in the coffee press (believing it to be coffee) and then complained that it was 'a funny colour' and 'tasted weird'. Luckily The Editor kindly drove me to school because I was in danger of trying to start the car with my house key. 

After miraculously getting to class on time, my first task in the kitchen was the pre-heat the oven to make soda bread. I shuffled towards the oven like a zombie, turned it on, reached in to move a rack and BURNT THREE OF MY FINGERS!! The pain was hideous. But, now I was awake! Rather fortuitously, the next thing on my menu was raspberry sorbet, so I managed not to look too suspicious as I desperately clutched a bag of frozen fruit whilst waiting for my fingers to return to life. So, lesson learned ... sleepy cooks are a hazard. 

Bread and sorbet made, I had to make a salad of roasted red peppers with parmesan and olives.  I am not sure why I chose this dish ... I really don't like peppers. Also, to me a few pieces of pepper, olives and cheese are not a salad, they are items on an antipasti platter or toppings on a pizza. Anyway, I tried my best to make it look like something somebody would pay for. I'd value this at about $1.50.  


Today in demonstration we learned to cook: Dublin bay prawns (Langoustines) with mayonnaise, Prawn bisque, Mayonnaise, Brown yeast bread, Russian village bread (an ordinary loaf of bread wearing a knotted scarf and pulling a plough), Greek moussaka (which was nice but bore no resemblance to my Grandma's traditional version), Shepherd's pie, Garlic butter (which believe it or not is just a blob of flavoured butter that apparently goes with the pie ... since when was butter a side dish?!), Mushroom ketchup, Baked potatoes, Greek green salad (no comment), Chickpea and aubergine salad, Mangoes in lime syrup (there goes that syrup again), Summer fruit salad with sweet geranium leaves and Apple and tomato chutney. 

Tomorrow I would like to avoid starting the day with a kitchen accident - so I'm off to bed. Good night x 

Rainbow taken from the Rocket House window

No comments:

Post a Comment