Tuesday 1 May 2012

1 May 2012

This morning we all arrived in full chef's whites (avec tres chic non-slip kitchen clogs).  

First up, we learned how to make a garden salad which, believe it or not, took an hour by the time we were introduced to about 50 different types of leaves, herbs and edible flowers. Anyone who thought rocket was fancy hasn't lived 'til they've tossed some mizuna and mibuna. 

Then into the kitchen... and time to withdraw 3 insanely sharp knifes from the sort of roll you'd expect to be in the sports bag of one of Jason Bourne's would-be assassins. I have chopped many a vegetable in my time but seeing our teacher slip a handful of band-aids into her chef's apron, I felt a little sweaty. 

The rush to chop, clean, dry and cook, all while following instructions, gave new meaning to the word multitasking and resulted in my first 'oopsies' moment of the course. After farewelling my rhubarb crumble into the oven, I turned away in triumph only to see a pot of sugar on the bench in front of me.  If that's here then it must not be... oopsies!. How did I forget to add an ingredient into a recipe with only 3 ingredients!?! A swift withdrawal and late addition saved the day. 

Lunch was served, and despite being full after starter and main, I felt dutybound to sample the crumble with some Jersey cream. Just as I raised the spoon to my mouth, the head chef insisted I add a teaspoon of brown sugar (diabetes, anyone?). And, I have to admit it was delicious. My trousers seams have gone from a whimper to a groan. 

The afternoon demo featured: Potato and Fresh Herb Soup, Onion and Thyme Leaf Soup, Wild Garlic Pesto, Shortcrust Pastry, Gruyere and Dill Tart, French Onion Tart, Mushroom and Thyme Leaf Tart, Asparagus and Spring Onion Tart, Penny's Cabbage Salad, Strawberry and Rhubarb Compote, Bananas in Lime Syrup (curious), Fork Biscuits and... How to line a Flan Ring

And then we got to taste everything (except the Flan Ring).  

Tomorrow my ninja blades and I will be tackling the Mushroom and Thyme Leaf Tart (including my mortal enemy, pastry) which I'll be getting marked on. I suspect I won't be getting much sleep tonight. 

P.S. This post was dictated by me to a sniffly Editor (who on mature recollection probably shouldn't have gone for a run along a clifftop in a gale force storm this afternoon - Ed) while I concocted my patented Greek Penicillin (think Jewish Penicilin i.e. chicken soup, but double the calories and the serve while dancing the zorba...the dancing will not cure sickness but it certainly lifts the mood).

No comments:

Post a Comment