Monday 21 May 2012

21 May 2012

Who are you calling butter ball? ...


No, I haven't finally burst out of my chef pants ... I actually made butter today. It's an interesting process which involves washing, draining, kneading, chilling and then fashioning the butter with chilled wooden bats into either a traditional block or these charming little butter balls. Aw, aren't they cute? (And their adorable similarity to Gaelic footballs has not gone unnoticed. Mmmm, Mayo... - Ed)

I think there were a few people in the kitchen this morning (moi included) suffering from 'Monday-itis'.  I twice walked to the larder to get ingredients and then forgot why I was there (perhaps there is a type of sugar and butter induced amnesia which affects students of cookery schools?). All three dishes I had chosen to cook this morning were to be made last minute so I killed some time making marzipan-filled dates rolled in pistachio crumbs (how posh does that sound, Daaarling?!). I have always thought I hated marzipan, but it turns out it was just because I was eating crappy marzipan. The homemade stuff is more subtle in flavour and really quite delicious. 


Today's menu had a bit of an egg theme. I made a classic French omelette (which literally spends about 30 seconds in the fry pan before being artfully hurled towards a warmed plate) and a frittata with roasted cherry tomatoes and summer herbs. I also put together an heirloom tomato salad with honey and olive oil dressing. Drizzling honey over tomatoes felt like offering the first warning sign of mental illness, but it actually tasted okay. I am just not sure about the amount of vegetables we seem to be turning into desserts...


Today in demonstration we learnt how to cook: Spinach and rosemary soup, Spring nettle soup (warning- you need to wear gloves when preparing this as the nettles will sting you!), Wild garlic soup, Savoy cabbage soup, Glazed loin of bacon (a simple recipe - take a slice of pig, smother it in brown sugar, bake), Scallion champ (mash potato with spring onions), Pizza with peperonata, Cabbage pineapple and onion salad (tastes much better than it sounds), Piquant beetroot, Strawberry jam and Rhubarb tart. 

Tomorrow I have volunteered to milk a cow at 7.30am, so I'm heading to bed early. Moo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment