Friday 4 May 2012

4 May 2012

It's finally Friday! And i think I have deserved some time in the pub, so lets keep this snappy.

Today I made raspberry jam, wholemeal bread, and penne with tomoatoes, spicy sausage and cream. And everything went off without a hitch. In fact, I finished early and helped a few others tidy up (hoping to have scored some brownie points there).  The raspberry jam barely made it in the front door of our cottage before being dolloped on scones with some fresh cream. Should probably shake the crumbs off this keyboard...


In today's demonstration we were shown how to make:  Warm salad of lamb kidneys with oyster mushrooms, Warm salad of sweetbreads* with potato crisps anchovies and wild garlic, Black-eyed beans with mushrooms, plain boiled rice, Black bean and salsa salad, Creme caramel with caramel sauce and caramel shards, Crunchy orange butter scones**, and we learnt how to sprout seeds for bean sprouts.

*'Sweetbreads' is the deceptively cute name given to the pancreatic gland of an animal, in this case, lamb. Mmmm, pancreas.
** These are sugary buttery scones which are rolled around a filling of sweet orangey butter, coated with sugar, baked, and then served warm with butter. In other words, a heart-attack waiting to happen. I recommend serving with a defibrillator.

Anyways, I'm off for a pint.

P.S. Its a long weekend here in Ireland so my next entry will be next Tuesday where I will be making a creme caramel (and then running away to a secluded corner of the farm so I can eat it all myself)

1 comment:

  1. Your blog very enjoyable, thought you were too young to have watched penelope keith. Hope the Zorba dancing cured the editor! Sounds like fun in Ballycotton and look forward to catching up next week. M

    ReplyDelete