Wednesday 23 May 2012

23 May 2012

Wine for breakfast, cake for lunch, pilates for dinner. Just an ordinary day at cookery school. 

This morning we had our first proper wine lecture. I would love to share what I learned, but unfortunately I don't remember much and my notes don't really make sense (although I did draw a lovely little border of wine bottles around the page). We tried our first glass of wine at 10.30am and had another five before noon. There was a small tea break at 11am where we loaded up on coffee, biscuits and scones so that by lunch students were either hyperactive, drunk, or both. I managed to bypass tipsy altogether and just went straight to the sleepy stage. 

This afternoon we had an afternoon tea and cakes demonstration. There were scones, sponge cakes, coffee cupcakes, Barmbrack, lemon cupcakes, butterfly cakes, ribbon sandwiches, meringue kisses, crystallised flowers and then, the most spectacular thing I have ever seen ... THE PICNIC CHEST.


Take a loaf of bread and cut a 'lid' on the top, leaving a hinge along one side. The next step is to remove the interior of the bread in one large brick-shaped piece. Don't even asked me how this happened - I am still in shock and awe. I actually watched this demonstration with my mouth open ( I think I may have even been drooling slightly at one point). You then cut the bread 'core' into slices, make those slices into ribbon sandwiches and then put them BACK IN THE CHEST!! Seriously! Where has this been all my life?! Open the lid and angels will sing.  Its a portable, self-contained, fully edible piece of heaven.  Hallelujah.


No comments:

Post a Comment